Friday, September 19, 2008

Sick Day


Sick Day
Originally uploaded by
vczdavis
SO I continue to be neglectful, or at least let work get in the way of being the best Mommy I can be. Today I had a seminar I needed to attend from 8:30-1:00, so in the morning I was rushing out of the house, not getting to spend any time with Holly, and she is sick again, so she is rather pitiful, with her stuffy / runny nose, overall congestion and cough, watery eyes and her breathing was raspy just because there was that phlegm caught in her throat. Since we still haven;t figured out a good Friday Solution, Joel stayed home with her today. He reported that she fell asleep just after I left and slept most of the morning, until 12:15ish. He fed her a big bottle, and then Katie Arrived. I had hoped to get home for some of Katie's Session but my meeting ran long, and I didn't get out of there until 2:00, then there was horrible traffic on the highway, detaining me even further.

I called Joel to check how her session was. He said she woke up less pitiful, and was pretty active and in good spirits, since he didn't say she cried upon Katie trying to handle her, I assume it went well. She sat wonderfully, and they worked on trying to get her to reach to her side and turn onto her belly. So if you put a toy to her left or right, she will twist and get it, if you then put it just out of reach, the arm on the side of the toy, would catch her, as she began to tip. Ideally, she would then reach across with the opposite arm getting the toy, or thus encouraging her to turn onto her belly, eventually to crawl.

I don't think they were super successful, but she was supporting herself in this tipped position, and she was able to push herself back up to sitting in some cases, so they thought it went really well. Joel then had to change her, and I guess the up and down of that was too much, and she puked up all her food, even though it had been an hour since she had eaten. So at that point she was done for the day.

She was over tired, and very sleepy. She fell asleep in the nest but for only about 20 minutes and woke up again, so we played for a bit, mostly I read to her from the Animal, Tail, Alphabet book. Its our favorite, and she is getting really good at feeling the textures on the page, like the wrinkly rhino, and sticky octopus. She likes the Yak's Hair, and the Tamarind's tail especially, and she likes the Jumping Kangaroos. She explores the entire page of the book, and she will notice where the texture is different, or if there is hair, like on the hog's tail, and hold and touch it, even with just two fingers, which I think is amazing. Since we like the book so much we read it 4 times.

She was getting rather fussy so I gave in and fed her, worried each bit that she might spit up or vomit her food. a few times she threatened too, but I was able to upright her lean her forward or pat her back and prevented it. She started getting even more cranky after eating, and was just so winey that I new she was tired but didn't want to sleep, so finally i swaddled her and waled around the house, once she was calm, and sorta spaced out but still not sleeping, I put her in the swing with a little extra head support and let her relax. She stared at me across the room from her swing I think for maybe 30 minutes before she actually fell asleep, she didn't want to do anything, but wasn't quite tired yet.

I had called the advice nurse who said there isn't much to be done, Motrin for fever, and use the bulb syringe in both her nose and throat to clear it out, especially before she eats, as she might be swallowing mucus, which upsets her belly, thus the vomiting. But since she has a wet diaper like every 1-2 hours she isn't that concerned with her despite puking all her food twice. So I have to keep an eye out for rapid or difficult breathing, regardless of fever, and high fever, neither of which she has at the moment. Needless to say, we sadly will not be swimming today, and the pool is closed tomorrow.

It is funny how we revert when we are sick, she is like her 3 month old self, needing to be swaddled, and rocked and walked, my poor sweet sick baby.

No comments: