Sunday, September 7, 2008

See, you just have to...


See, you just have to...
Originally uploaded by
vczdavis
Grab the foot and put it in your mouth, simple.... Toes are tasty to chew on, except when "Someone" bites them, and then its not so fun! Holly was in a better mood today, why would she be in a bad mood you ask, sadly, Friday was a very disappointing day. Holly is sick AGAIN!

So going back to Thursday, when I picked Holly up from daycare she was falling asleep, and she had only had two 20 minute naps since 11:30 that morning, so when she was a bit cranky and fell asleep at 7:00 I just thought she was tired and adjusting, thinking she would wake up in about 90 minutes for her last meal of the day, I woke her at around 10:30 when she had not. She ate and fell right back asleep. Still not worried, as she had been in fine spirits the night before, I was surprised that she didn't wake up for an overnight feeding, but instead slept until 8:30, over 10 hours.

I had been looking forward to Friday all week, as I was going to work from home, and get a chance to play with Holly, and go swimming in the afternoon. Joel woke me at 9:30 and she was sleeping again, he said she was pretty cranky, and she had been fussing but ate her bottle. She woke up not 15 minutes later, and was very restless and I knew something was wrong. by 10:30 I fed her again, and she fell back asleep. While she was up, she was pretty listless, I tried to stand her, but she didn't want to hold herself up, she was just whining, rubbing her head, and not wanting to sleep or play. I put her in her swing, and she slept another 4 hours. So at this point it was 2:30 and in the last 20 hours, she had only been awake maybe 2-3 at most.

She was supposed to see Katie for her OT, but Katie was sick, and she ended up sleeping right through the appointment. Wishfully thinking she would wake up and be happy and we could go swimming, I was so disappointed to see how unhappy she was. Earlier, I tried to give her a teether, because she didn't want to eat or suck on her pacifier, but it seemed like too much of an effort for her to even chew on it, she instead held it up against her face and stuck her tongue out and would lick it.

I decided to give her some Motrin, thinking that perhaps she was achey or her mouth hurt, because of her crankiness, but she ended up puking up her food. So I made her a bottle, with Motrin inside it, and called the advice nurse. She didn't seem to have a fever, but she was just so blah, I was worried. My fear was that she might have an ear ache. The Nurse told us to come in and make sure, since it was the weekend. So instead of swimming, at 5:00 we went to the Doctor. She ended up having a 99.9 temperature. and one of her ears was a bit clogged, so after cleaning it out, the Doctor said that from 7-11 (like a clock) on the eardrum was slightly red, and that indeed she did have an earache. She said that she sees most children, about 3 days later into it, and we caught it very early. By the time we took Holly to the Doctor, she was climbing around, smiling, and chewing on things again, I guess the Motrin kicked in, and that told us for sure, she must have been feeling pain before.

So the Doctor gave us a prescription for Amoxicillin, which was a pink liquid that we think is bubble gum flavored and we have to give her twice a day for ten days. We went to Babies-r-us to get some formula, water, and detergent, and we got some pick up pizza, and filled the prescription. We got home by 8:00 and she had her medicine and went back to sleep, until about 6:00 AM.

This morning, Joel had a pretty good time with her, he gave her a mini bottle for the antibiotic, and 2 hours later a mini bottle with Motrin mixed in, when she started getting cranky again, but most of the morning, she wasn't energetic, but she was calm and contented. They read stories and played.

She has been pretty fussy all day, and not sleeping that well, I think she is uncomfortable, tired, but tired of sleeping, and grumpy. I was determined to have her work on her therapies though, so we had a ton of tummy time today, and already she is getting a little better at holding her head up, and she isn't crying when on her tummy, she just turns herself over when she is tired of it. I had her on the floor, on the bed, over my leg, against her nest pillow, against a large cushion, and over a bed pillow, as various different ways to get her to lean up on her arms and hold her head up.

I also played with her language cards, we went through the food category, and she tries to grab the card, but she listens to the words, and looks at the picture. We also watched Baby Einstein, Lullaby time, and she fell asleep to that. Much of the day she was cranky because it is soo soo hot and miserable, we are all feeling tired and really hot int he house, but it wasn't the worst day either. I seem to have slept funny on my arm or shoulder and my neck has been in pain all day, so overall its just been like I said a disappointing weekend so far. I just hope the meds kick in and she is back to her playful self soon.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Isn't it just awful when they don't feel well! Evan has had a couple of ear infections during his 2 years, and they completely wipe him out.