Sunday, November 30, 2008

Weekend

We had a fun quiet weekend, I got a chance to sleep in and stay up late which always helps make me feel like myself, and both Joel and I had some alone – out of the house – time, going to a movie. On Saturday I snuck away for about 3-4 hours and went to Bay Street. I had a slice of Pizza, and a mint shake browsed a few shops and then caught an afternoon showing of twilight. I got to the movie in time to catch the end of the twenty and see about 6 glorious previews and then enjoyed my movie.





I have mixed feelings about twilight. I loved the book, it was amazing, and it is always hard to capture that same feeling in a movie, they had to compress so much it was worse then trying to read cliff notes, it took me many hours, to read that book and it was pressed into 2. A scene at the Cullen’s house had to capture the 20 times she visited, and a few second shot in the lunch room covered days of her observing the Cullens. In some ways it was good I had read the book so a throw away scene like when they are in the restaurant, sparked my memory of all the intrigue and internal monologue of the main character from the book and made the scene richer, but then other scenes like when she was at the beach with Jacob, just didn’t live up to the rich detail of what was supposed to be happening, they of course had to change mold and compress everything and in all honesty it left me wanting more.





There were 4 books, and I certainly felt like this was only ¼ of the story, I could have sat there for many more hours watching more, but I suppose I will have to wait, I hope they are making more movies. The characters looked different then they did in my mind when I read the book, but I didn’t mind so much and the movie character’s grew on me after a while, I was disappointed with the Cullen’s house, and the scene when Edwards steps into the sun in “his” meadow, was just not as miraculous as it was in the book, but over all I had a wonderful time. I had been reading your blogs about wanting and needing some alone / me time, and this was my chance to get just that and I enjoyed it.



While Joel was babysitting he had a great time, Holly woke from a nap about 45 minutes after I left and she was so full of energy, she was happy and active and crawling all over the house, Joel actually let her get from the living room all the way to the hallway. When I got home she was sitting over by the dining room table in front of the mirror looking at herself, frustrated that the baby in the mirror would not come out and play, she had been distracted from her trip to the hallway by the mirror so turned back to see it again.




Joel said he had taken her into the office to see what she would do, and she got scared and upset and didn’t want to explore at all, the surroundings were too unfamiliar. She also discovered her toy box and spent a good deal of time climbing into it, choosing a toy taking it out, playing with it and then discarding it for the next toy, she dug down into the bottom and even struggled trying to get some toys, first she got easy ones on top, then she had to pull herself up to reach more, then finally she had to tip over the toy box to get some. This was where Joel had to help her, she would tip over the box, see the toy she wanted and then reach out and grab it, but with one hand she wasn’t strong enough to keep the toy bin tipped and it would fall down and she tried over and over, she is a stubborn and determined little girl. So finally Joel felt bad for her and one time when she tipped it up he put his hand under to keep it there so when she reached for the toy it wouldn’t fall back, she was hesitant, but got it and was so excited and pleased with herself.



They had a great time. The today, Sunday Joel went out to a movie with a friend of ours; he saw the latest Charlie Kaufman flick, Synecdoche, New York which has Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Katherine Keener in it. He had read the script and really wanted to see the film, in particular he was very curious how some of the scenes her read would actually be done on film, and he really enjoyed it.


Today we ate most of the rest of the leftovers, well at least the side dishes are gone and we made for lunch some Yummy turkey, apple, craisin Curry, and then for dinner Joel made me my Mom’s turkey Casserole, which I ate while he was at the movie, and plan to have for lunch tomorrow and later in the week. We had some more dark meat and 1 leg left which I am sure Joel will eat or maybe use in a stew. The casserole was very Yummy. I also had some pecan pie.



So the good news is we have finally had some success with Holly eating fresh food. Yesterday Joel made a Squash and he took ¼ of it and put it in the blender with some water and pureed it. It was bright orange but very smooth. Holly didn’t like it, she still stuck out her tongue when she ate it and didn’t open wide, but she didn’t puke. And I fed it to her twice yesterday and twice today and have a teeny bit left for breakfast tomorrow. He made a large container full, and she normally eats about ½ a container a sitting, so yesterday we gave it to her with some Gerber Squash, as in I gave her a few bites of the Gerber, then a few bites of the Fresh, then a few more of the Gerber. I didn’t want to force it and I wanted to take it slow. She finished the Gerber container, so today I gave her some Apple Cherry which was a new flavor for her but she liked it. By the time I fed her this evening, she still wasn’t opening her mouth for a spoon full, but she wasn’t sticking her tongue out anymore and I think she was getting used to the strong flavor of the fresh food. So there is a little left for her to finish tomorrow, and I think Joel will be making some sweet potatoes for himself for dinner, so I plan on having him blend some of that for her too, and will try that next. I was thinking about to when we first tried the Gerber, and she spit it out, and gagged and puked and didn’t like it either, and now on occasion she opens up wide for a bite, so it just takes time when something is very different for her to get used to. We also have ½ a bag of the uncooked Green Beans, so I might suggest Joel try those again in the blender but I am not sure if they really are conducive to him making a puree out of them, so we will see. But baby steps, I am happy with the progress.


Holly was pretty cranky today, but she is a trooper and trys to stay in good spirits. She has 4 teeth cutting and is not happy about it, she is in pain and really gnawing on everything. I gave her some Motrin last night and a Highland teething tablet, and this afternoon I gave her another dose of Motrin. She slept in late till 10:30 and fell asleep early at 9:30 and then woke up crying about 11:30 but I was able to rock her to sleep. I am hoping they finish breaking through in the next 9 days so she isn’t still teething when we fly to Florida. We read a bunch of books today, I pulled out the Alphabet Animal texture book which she loves, and she has a Color Book that her Nana gave her that she really likes it is very interactive and has little doors and windows you can turn on each page to reveal something underneath and she really likes doing this. She has also been reading her “Holly” book which has pictures of many of her family members in it, and she likes to turn the pages and look at the pictures. It is amazing. Sometimes she will bring a book to me and then I will read it to her and she will turn the pages. Her favorite book is a sea creature book where there is a sea creature in black and white on the right page and you have to pull it out to reveal what color it is, she likes this book a lot.




Overall we had a wonderful Thanksgiving Holiday, Joel was especially happy because he is such a homebody and we were not traveling and he got to lounge around the house and he had is two favorite girls with him. He said he missed me while I was at the movie, and then he said he missed Holly while he was at his movie, it was cute. I have to admit, I missed them a little bit too, but not enough to not go again if the opportunity arises. Well that was our weekend, I am now off to finish doing the bills so I can mail them off in the morning.

No comments: