Monday, November 10, 2008

Glow in the Dark


Glow in the Dark
Originally uploaded by
vczdavis
This morning Holly and I were up and out of the house by 9:15, she was scheduled to act as a standardized patient for a nursing student pediatric class. The teacher was showing the student’s how to do a health assessment of a baby. It was fun, but tiring, if I had know Joel would be out of town, that I would be sick, I would not have agreed to going, but I didn’t want to cancel last minute and leave the class without a baby for the demo. It ended up not being as bad as I thought, as we got home by 10:30, and were napping till 12:00.

So Lucian and Tracey did not come over on Sunday, but they came over today to visit. I had invited Tracey and Lucian to join us to observe during Holly’s OT/IDS Visit, so she could see the types of therapy the OT does with her. Holly worked very hard today, she was doing lots of crawing, and actually goes forward 3-4 steps and backwards 3-4 steps, it takes great effort and time, but she is obtaining motion. She is also really starting to pull herself up.

The running joke is that Katie her OT/IDS is “mean” to her, because she makes her work so hard, today she was still trying to get her to roll onto her stomach, she moved all of the toys out of her reach, and placed her on her back, and tried to motivate her to turn over. She refused; she would think about it, and roll onto her side, but then get stuck over the last hump of getting her bottom arm out of the way and turning her big heavy head. Katie “the meanie” made her try for almost ten minutes, and was really quite surprised by her stubbornness. She is completely capable of this movement and has done it before. But didn’t want to. After a while she was upset and fussy, and we kept her at it. Eventually Katie helped her and gave in. But now she has a new theory.

It seems that when Holly is moving around, it takes a great deal of concentration on her part. So Katie’s theory is that when she is “emotional” fussy or upset, she simply can’t focus enough to do those movements, its almost like she shuts down. Joel and I have never really pushed her that hard and when she is in a position she doesn’t like and makes a squeak, we run and help her. So the goal is to let her do more for herself, we will see how successful I am at that.

After her session she was really worn out, and she started to sneeze and cough, so now I think she is getting sick. She doesn’t have a fever though, but she has a snotty nose. So I unfortunately cancelled my playdate with Sarah and Quinn. I had hoped Holly would take a nap and be refreshed. But we watched 3 episodes of Baby Einstein and she didn’t nap, and just got more and more fussy. Lucian was napping and Tracey and I were sitting around and chatting. She left at 4:00 to get David from the airport, but here it is almost 5:00 and Holly is still awake whining

So sadly I think Holly has caught my cold, speaking of being sick… Prednisone is magic! I was feeling so awful yesterday, and took a dose of it and felt so much better today. Yesterday I was out of breath simply sitting still, and was completely winded in full on asthma attack mode if I had to get up and do anything. Today I was out of breath when active, but when I was sitting still, I was ok, wheezing, but breathing ok.

Then I woke up freaking that I took the prednisone, worrying about it being in the breast milk, but I called the pediatrician, and she said in the dosage I took it was ok! So I was excited that I could take more today, and will hopefully be on the mend.

Holly finally took a nap at 5:45 but only for about 45 minutes, I had time to wash bottles and make some pasta, she is still super tired, she is awake but trying to fall asleep, she is so cranky and sick.. I am going to give her a bottle and see if she goes back to sleep.

1 comment:

CarolineThomas said...

Aww I am sad that you are ill, poor you, especially scarey due to the asthma.
I hope you get better soon! xx