Saturday, January 31, 2009

Pitiful


Pitiful
Originally uploaded by
vczdavis
Holly is sick today. She is so pitiful. Last night I was able to get her to sleep at 11:20 but she woke up every 2-3 hours for the rest of the night. She had a little cough and it was waking her. At around 2:00 AM she vomited. It wasn’t bad though so I thought it was related to a gag reflex from her cough. That is until she woke up this morning and threw p her entire breakfast. She did this laying in bed with me and it got all over both of us and the sheets and through to the Mattress Cover, it was 5 ounces of Formula.

I cleaned us both up stripped the bed, rotated the laundry and called the Doctor. Last night Holly had a fever of 99.7 and I gave her a dose of Motrin, she had been uncomfortable for the last few nights and I thought maybe she was having teething pain, as she has been chewing on teethers to fall asleep, but I don’t think it helped. I gave her a second dose this evening when her fever was 101.5

So I told the advice nurse all of the information I could think of. She actually told me not to try to force or increase her fluids unless she has the appetite. She did say that she could be drinking between 24-32 ounces a day, so I am not going to try so hard to keep her at 24 and worry when she goes over 30. I hate that there is so much conflicting information. The doctor said that over 30 will prevent her from absorbing Iron, but then I read that new research says that if they don’t get 34-36 ounces of milk or formula today they need Vitamin D supplements. So go figure.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand. She said I could feed her Yogurt but not to try and give her any other foods. She said I should try to elevate her when sleeping and use the Humidifier. She said they have special baby viks cream that is safe to use, and if she continues to get more congested, a steamy bathroom or standing near some boiling water. She told me not to worry unless she doesn’t have a second wet diaper after 12 hours, and she has them often, today was the same as every I changed her like every 1-2 hours and she was always wet so at least I knew she was hydrated.

Surprisingly she said I should expect fever but even if she is like 104 as long as she is drinking and engaging and making eye contact I don’t need to call in, I can give her some Motrin and use a wet cloth to cool her. But if she wasn’t engaging then to call. She was pitiful all day long. She wined and whimpered non-stop. It was kinda cool to hear her be so verbal, but she just continued to express her discomfort non-stop, She did eat Vanilla Yogurt three times, but it was only one four ounce container over the day. She did vomit a second time when I was changing her all over the changing table, in fact she seemed to mostly miss the chuck and got the soft cover so I had to tear that apart and do yet another load of laundry.

She did take two naps in my arms in bed but they each only lasted about an hour. She tried to play really hard and did so this afternoon for about an hour, and then this evening with Joel for about an hour, but mostly wanted mommy to hold her and we watched a lot of baby Einstein. I was able to get her to fall asleep in our bed again at 11:00 (a little earlier each night) and I set up her “nest” in the crib so she would be snuggly and her head would be slightly elevated and then transferred her to the crib. So far so good, I hope she sleeps through the night I think it will really help her to feel better tomorrow.

Yesterday I thought I might bring her to swim class and the warm water and steam would help her “dry” cough but by this morning the cough turned into congestion and she was not up for any outings. Also, since I was up 5 times with her last night and not thinking straight I forgot to call Katie and leave her a message to cancel our “extra” appointment this week, so at 9:00 Am she showed up. Joel got out of bed to answer the door and tell her Holly was sick. I felt so bad she had to come all the way over.

Another post to follow soon to tell you all about Thursday our VERY fun day!

2 comments:

ST said...

I hope Holly feels better soon, for her sake and yours! Taking care of a sick baby is tough.

CarolineThomas said...

Awww poor Holly :-(