Monday, November 2, 2009

Old Friends

Here is little miss Holly climbing in and out of a fun Bouncy House at a Halloween party. We dressed up as a little Lady Bug, and she flitted all around the room.We were invited to the Party at Samuel Merritt College (University Now) where I used to work. it was strange to be back. I realized also that this event marked 1 year since I left my job. It was strange to think back upon my life as a career woman, or even a working mother. I sometimes wonder how I got so much done, my ability to multitask has all but disappeared these days.But I smile, and think I am much better for the wear. I am happier, and I am more present. Perhaps before I could do three things at a time because I wasn't really present on any of them.I can;t really do that with Holly, she demands your presence, your attention, I am lucky to check email on my iPhone during the day without her trotting over and wanting to play one of her flashcard games on it.I am also so grateful for all of the time we spend together. I so admire the woman I know who are working moms, but I also know i don;t get to see them very often, maybe once a month at a weekend party or play date.I get to spend every morning with Holly participating in her Therapy, feeding her breakfast, cooking her eggs, maybe going to the park. Lying down with her for a nap mid day, and then going on a fun play date in the afternoon.I may not get to keep house, get chores done, it may take me three times as long to run an errand, but shopping with her in the cart babbling away eating a snack is amazing. Holding her hand as we walk from the car to the bank.These little moments, however tenuous at the time, chasing and running after her, re stacking fliers and handouts at the checkout, are treasures that I wouldn't trade for anything.So yeah, it was nice to see old friends and colleagues, and I was so proud of what had been accomplished by some in my absence, knowing the work that went behind the projects, but I would never for a moment want to go back.Don't get me wrong, I am tired by the end of the day, and I hardly have a moment to myself to get anything done, and I "work" so much harder then I ever did before, but I also feel like the luckiest person in the world, and I truly love my life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so right to treasure this time! It goes by SO quickly!
Love, Granny

CarolineThomas said...

Good to know that you are happy :) Love the pics as ever! Bouncy castles and balloons are right up there on the fun scale! xx