Sunday, May 17, 2009

Star Trek



On Friday night we picked up Karma and headed to Public market for dinner. Joel had some yummy Afghan food and I had my typical chicken gyro pita. For the most part Holly was pretty good and easily distracted, first she chewed on my glasses, and then she snacked on some pita, and once Joel was done eating she went for his left over rice.



After dinner we headed to the bookstore so Joel could get a cup of Coffee. Yes it was already 9:00 PM but he needed the Coffee because we still had a big night ahead of us. At the bookstore I let her walk and walk all around, she of course ran strait to the shelves and began to pull books off faster then I could stack them back up again, so i redirected her to the kids section where it was ok for her to go through all the books.


I wanted to let her walk around as much as possible so she would get tired out.


When we got home I let her play for another 30 minute. I would ask her wear Daddy is and she would walk to the hall and the gate looking for him and then I would say where is mommy and clap and she would come running back to me, then I'd say, go get Daddy and we did it over again..


It was a success except for the distraction of the music table, but even with that she started to yawn and got tired. At 10:00 I made her a bottle and we laid down, then about 20 minutes later she was fast asleep.


Karma was happily playing Spore on Joel's computer, had a bottle in the sidelines and step by step instructions and what to do if Holly woke up or started crying.





Twenty minutes later we were buying tickets for the 10:55 show of Star Trek at Bay Street. I ran in to get a seat, we were second row center and Joel got Popcorn and Raisinettes for me. It had been a while since we were at a movie and early to boot, so were surprised by about 8 previews, 15 minutes of them, and I thought that was great, it is sometimes my favorite part, but I was a little sad thinking of all the new movies I won;t get to see (netflix I have to keep reminding myself)


And then it began! There is so much I want to say about the movie but can't because I don't want to give anything away. So I will start by sharing with you a review Joel posted on one of his screen writing sites:


"Finally got to see this last night. JJ Abrams, Kurtzman and Orci are all total hacks. They use cheap, manipulative tricks in place of deep, foundational story. Except... they are really good at it. Even though I could see how shameless and manipulative the writing was -- it was awesome. And the bottom line is this is entertainment. My reaction to this movie was "Hey.. you put star wars in my star trek... and I like it." Sometimes I need to be reminded that storytelling doesn't have to be deep to be thrilling.The lens flares burned my eyes though. Abrams said it was an intentional, stylish choice. There was even a guy who's job was to hold a light just offscreen pointed into the lens for the bridge scenes. No joke."


One of my favorite thing was that they "Cheated" unless you have seen the movie you won;t know what I mean, but I am so excited that they were able to stay true to the characters and spirit of Star t\Trek and now have given themselves incredible Freedom.


Joel's Star Wars reference was interesting, when you see the movie, so many scenes were like little homages to highlight scenes in the Star Wars movies, which was neat. It was also very "pretty" lots of cool action and effects, sometimes so over the top, but they made it work and drug you along for the ride arms flailing and having a blast, and well it was so much fun to see everyone so "Young"


For the first 30 or so minutes of the movie I would double check the phone to make sure I wasn't getting a call and didn't notice the vibration, there was a little back story in the beginning before the main thing took off, but by the time it was rolling, I forgot about the phone and when it was over said, Woo Hoo, she didn't wake up.


We got home around 2:00 AM and karma had time to play spore and do her laundry and the night was totally uneventful. Joel felt the pain the next morning when Holly woke at 8:00, but I think it was worth it.


One day we will be able to leave her during the day to play with a friend, and maybe even eventually with a babysitter, but for now, Daddy can barely put her to bed and when I'm not home she stare at the door waiting for me, so this worked out just right, she never new we were gone.. and I already have up my sleeve plans to see Up later this month when it comes out! YEAH.

1 comment:

CarolineThomas said...

Hey that's great! I'm so glad you get chance to go out now, what progress! I'm also glad you didn't give away too much about the film because I was thinking of seeing it sometime. Glad you enjoyed it.