Saturday, May 9, 2009

Book Club

Last week was another meeting of the Book Club Mom's group I am in. This month we read a book called Buddhism for Mothers. There are actually two of these, one called ; for mother's with young children, and the other I guess is for older children. Difference members read different books, so there was a bit of confusion. The book was originally supposed to be, Our Babies, Ourselves, which I purchased two months ago, but that was swapped and postponed until July.

So I actually didn't have the book, and due to the confusion, neither did another one of the moms. I tried to order it from Barnes and Nobles but one version was back ordered and the other was supposed to come in but they never contacted me. It was a good conversation none the less, and it was interesting to hear what the other mother's thought of the book. I was much more comfortable with the group this time, and it was a much better experience, they were nice and welcoming, and perhaps since I didn't read the book, I wasn't driven towards debate.


There were still issues, for example the house was still not baby proofed. The mom left the back doors and front doors open, there were sockets uncovered decorative glass jars and bottles on the floor and fireplace hearth, and now that holly is walking it was much more of a challenge to pin her down. I don't like to tell her no, and she doesn't hear it often, so it is difficult for her to understand when she can;t explore, when for the most part she has free reign over our house and most of the places I take her. That said, a mother of another 13 month old (who was at home napping) helped chase Holly down a lot when she tried to sneak off into the kitchen, or down the hall way to the steps, up from the sunken living room.

There still were not a lot of toys for her to play with. there was the neat wooden sorter, and "swing set" toy and a small bin with a few other chewers and books. When I was actively playing with her she was engaged and easier to manage (read - distracted) but that made it hard for me to hold a conversation and pay attention to what was going on. the other two babies were about 7 months old, and not moving yet, so they didn't have a problem, and when they were pretty entertained, they kinda stared off or chewed on a single object.

next month we are reading playful parenting which i already have, and I am looking forward to starting, and we are having the book group at my house since the regular mom will be out of town. it should be interesting to see what they think, since they are anti-plastic (like bouncers and exersaucer's are "bad" - but we will see if they change there tune when there kids walk) But hey.. Who cares what they think right?


1 comment:

CarolineThomas said...

Anti-plastic? That is so laughable! They will learn the hard way. Book club sounds like a good idea in principle, I look forward to reading one time with no hiccups though, wish I could come help out with Holly so you could debate xx