Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Goose Egg

It looks much much worse then it is. Holly fell yesterday playing in the living room. She climbed into a plastic tub and then tried to climb out. Since she had no problem climbing in (I watched her) I figured she could get out the same way and sat back down. But when she climbed out it tipped. She was about the height of a kneel and the thump wasn't even very loud but I guess she landed bad. I jumped up and lifted her and cradled her and she stopped crying in like 30 seconds. The I noticed this. A ballooned lump the size of a golf ball. I started to freak.I made Joel look it up and he discovered it was something called a Goose Egg. It is something very minor according to the web and they warn you not to be alarmed at how quickly it grows. It is simply broken blood vessels on the surface that puddle and with slight pressure and some ice they disperse and the swelling goes down. So after learning this, about 2 minutes had passed and I got some Ice but for about a minute or two she would cry and pull it off her head. I had several teethers at this point trying to get a circle shape that I could surround the lump with, so by now she would pull the teether and chew on it, her teeth were bothering her more then her head, so she let the ice stay.About 16 hours later this is her head. You can see the slight discoloration but there isn't a lump really anymore. Its there, when you look down from the top, you can see her forehead is a little misshapen, but from the side its not there, so it has shrunk about 80% It is amazing how fast kids heal, and I suspect that by tomorrow it will be completely gone. When it happened for her the ordeal took less then 5 minutes, it was much more traumatic for mommy. She bounced right back. I guess this is her first "real" fall of many she will do learning to walk, climb, jump, and run. Scrapes and bumps are in my future, and from her track record, I think there will be many.

1 comment:

CarolineThomas said...

Awww that first picture is so very sad and pitiful with her bump and her lethargic looking eyes. Shame, glad she's all better poor thing xx