Wednesday, July 1, 2009

My First Signs


So this is a completely unrelated picture of Holly smiling in the park that happens to be taken on the same day as the upcoming video's.

Daddy took the video's in the evening on his new iPhone after he got home from work. Holly decided to show off her brand new skills, she learned her first two signs.

That morning after speech therapy we were playing and Holly brought me the blocks. I said, I don't know what you want. Should I eat the blocks? Should i wear them as a hat? Putting them on my head... She grabbed them and signed open. I was so thrilled. In the past Joel had done this process with her, but had to touch her hand or elbow to prompt the sign. This time she did it on her own spontaneously. I opened the blocks and we played.

Next we played the "This Little Piggy Went to Market" Game, and Holly put her two hands together. I said "More?" and she put her hands together. The first time it was like grabbing her hands, so I did the sign for her and then did the Piggy Game.. She signed More Again. A little more sophisticated, but this time more like a closed hand and the other pointing to it. So I did the sign, said the word, and then did the Piggy Game again. When I finished she signed "More" and this went on another 20-30 times. Then she crawled off my lap and went to play.

I was sure she thought that "More" Meant Piggies, but then later she brought me a book, we read it and then I said all done. She handed me the book and I said, what do you want? She signed more. so I read the book again. By this time her sign was getting to be very distinct and accurate. We read the book again, she said "More"this happened again another 20-30 times.

Through out the day she would come up to me and say More? and I would say more what? Sometimes it wasn't clear, as we weren't doing anything. Sometimes she would grab her toes and we would play the Piggy Game, other times she would sign more and then hand me a book.. So Perhaps she things more is "I Want" but at least she is communicating.

She signed more a few times when eating, but she doesn't typically "want" more. She only signed Open a few more times, and isn't very proficient at it, but Joel caught open on video which was great. Also since then, she has signed eat a few times, to tell me she is hungry.

Also, while she isn't making a "speech" milestone, under cognition, she is making the 2-word sentence milestone, which is actually advance for her age, because "More Piggies" her favorite thing to say, is two unrelated concepts and she spontaneously asks for that.

Here are two video's. She is playing in the kitchen and is fascinated with the refrigerator, so she is asking to look inside and have the door opened. It has also been really hot, so I think she likes the cool air. Also, you can see all the stretching and neck extension, so we actually let her do this almost as often as she would like, because she does such good stretches, them make her therapists proud.

The first is a long one where she says open and then more.

The second is only a few seconds where she very clearly says more.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Way to go, Holly! That was great!