Friday, July 24, 2009

Moscone Park - 7.5/10

This is such a neat little park in San Francisco on Chestnut street just a few blocks from the Presidio Theatre. It's Called the Moscone Recreational Center and I happened upon it going to the Mom's Movie. It was kind of neat, because it was the first time I was at a park that fit that stereo type of an "Urban" park that you might see on TV in New York. There was the nanny crowd, and then the new hips moms, City Dweller's all alike. I asked one of the nannies a question, and she said to me, your not from around here are you. No, I am from Berkeley, over the bridge I told her, here for the movie down the street (which would be starting in about an hour) It was Ice Age 3 and she had two children she was watching, and quickly told all the other nannies about the movie, and I ran into the whole crowd of them a while later at the theatre.I was hoping to tire Holly out but letting her run around the park before the show, in the hopes that she might fall asleep, we still had the infant car seat at the time, so i could take her into the theatre in that. Instead she decided she wanted to swing almost the entire time we were there.She was eying this merry-g0-round and on our way out the kids had dispersed so she climbed in and let me slowly spin her. First she walked around spinning it to see how it worked, then got inside. Another little girl eventually joined her and she was OK with that, but then a few more kids came and wanted to spin faster so we went to play with something else.The play structure was pretty cool, but she was little for it still, In a year it will be perfect. Just the same she liked walking around the bouncy turf checking out all of the kids and did climb up on a few platforms and went down a couple of slides before we took off. We didn't get a chance this visit, but there was a lot of nice sand to play in. There was a smaller sand box near the swings partly shaded where the Mom's and little ones were hanging out, it was the only shade in the park. But then there was also some sand around the structures and underneath as well. next time we will bring our bucket to play.We headed over to the movie, and she didn't fall asleep. She was tired though and spent a good deal of the time in my lap and arms and eating and drinking a bottle, but she also spent her fair share walking and crawling and scooting up and down the stairs in the middle isle. We had a row to ourselves and I was at the end, so she had a lot of room to run back and forth up and down the row too, she even watched tid bits of the movie, which I thought was amusing, especially because there was a baby Mammoth in the end.Slides - 1/2 - There were some but she needed help with them still.

Swings - 1 - Yes, in addition to the two baby swing was a partly accessible swing "seat" which she enjoyed waiting her turn on the baby buckets.

Surface - 1 - Mostly bouncy turn, some sand.

Shade - 1/2 - Not a lot, but some.

Climbing - 1 - so much stuff to climb on, she will give Mommy a heart attack!

Parking - 1/2 - While I was able to find a spot right on the street in front, I may not always be so lucky, and there wasn't a lot of parking options.

Bathrooms - 1/2 - I think there are supposed to be some, in the rec Center, but I am sure they would be closed off hours and I didn't see them.

Distance - 1/2 - I suppose it is under 20 minutes, but just barely and only assuming I am not hitting traffic.

Friends - 1 - Oh, so many children. the nannies were pretty friendly, though surprised I was chatting with them. The mom's were a bit clique, they all knew each other, and were not very approachable.

Fun - 1- We had a lot of fun hear. Even though there was no shade and it was very sunny, San Francisco is at least 10 degrees cooler and there was a nice breeze the whole time so we never felt hot. There were two separate structures and she will grow into them both nicely.

No comments: