Friday, July 3, 2009

Fragile X Friday - Music Class - Take Two

At the Alameda Library they have Music class every Monday and Friday from 10:15-11:00ish We previously also saw Katie on Fridays, and then when she cut back to one visit a week, we were seeing Stephanie (speech therapist) for make up sessions on Friday mornings in addition to Wednesday. So when we had a free Friday we jumped at the chance to try Music Class again.Isabel and Sarah met us again, but Aleutia was working and couldn't make it. We turned up to class early, and again Holly arrived with a poopie Diaper, we had time to change her and get into the room before class started. I think this made a big difference. The Friday group is much smaller and the room is also much smaller, so it did still seem a little crowded, but wasn't too bad, especially since Holly had a chance to explore and meet the other babies before the singing started.The babies loved coming up to me and looking at the camera, so I took several of there pictures and then showed them the baby in the camera. This was very popular. Once the teacher started it was Mommy's turn to be out of her comfort zone.Several of the first songs we sang were not on the song sheet and were songs Mommy didn't know but everyone else did. So I felt a little anxious and lost not knowing the hand gestures or words. This was fleeting, and Holly wasn't even in my lap singing, so it didn't really matter much, but I found it frustrating that we weren't using the song sheet provided. I was forced to adapt and it certainly helps me to sympathize with what holly sometimes goes through, and how important expectations are.Even though it wasn't the same room, I think already Holly was doing better. She recalled the singing from a week earlier, I think she remembered the Library. She was Happy to see Sarah, and she got to explore the room before it filled up with a bunch of other children.Sarah loves music class. She dances and giggles and is so easy going. She is happy to be in the center of a horde of kids, even a mosh pit I would guess. She can be a little bit of a pit bull when she wants something and can easily hold her own over a older kid, because she is big, for her age. he lets you know just what she wants, and isn't afraid to get it. All wonderful qualities. So she doesn't let the grabbing bother her one bit.Also since she wasn't super mobile yet, she stayed close to her Mommy who knew all the songs and did all kinds of fun gestures and games with her while singing. She had a blast with this, and really enjoys the music I think.We hit a slight rough patch when we did a few songs where the parents got up and walked in a circle. I think Holly was ok when everyone was her height and the parents were sitting. But when the parent;s were towering over her, she didn't like it one bit. So I picked her up so she would be at eye level with the other grown-ups rather then under foot where she could risk getting bumped into.This suited her just fine. She was happy to walk around and sing as long as she had me to hold onto. I think that makes a big difference. When she has me int he room to look back on, reassure, hold my hand, or to hold her it helps to makes her so brave.After the walking songs the teacher took out the musical instruments. In addition to Holly warming up to Music Class, Mommy has learned to to watch for the rough spots. I went to the box myself and got her a few items. Handed her one and then let her down to explore.Because she already had her toy, she was much more comfortable with the other kids when they crowded around to get hers and Mommy had spares, so when she ran up and didn't have one, I could hand her another and she would happily run off and play a few minutes longer.She really liked the bells, they jingled and made cool sounds. She also I think recognize Sailor, a little girl we went at the Summer party. She was here with her dad.When it was time for the parachute, Mommy was prepared and picked Holly up while the other kids climbed on board. She didn't want down and held on tight. But we were able to hold onto the edge and walk in a circle and sing as we spun the other kids around. She was interested, but happy to be tucked in my arms.After when the kids went underneath she pushed away and asked to be let down. She ran under with the others and hung out in the middle for maybe half a song, but then though better of it and scooped a little bit closer to mommy and the edge.Here she sat happily for three more songs and enjoyed the parachute overhead make waves up and down. She had a lot of fun, but on her terms. Mommy was more then Happy to comply with whatever she needed.After that it was clean up time, and we sang a new to us goodbye song. She wasn't eager to give up her toys, but I was able to distract her with my water bottle. I also wanted to share these pictures of three quilts on the wall, each square is a favorite children's story. It was very beautifulIn the end, we had a really good time. There were no major meltdowns, she seemed pretty adjusted. She didn't want to do everything, and wasn't her normally adventurous self, but I have to remind myself, that she is usually in a very familiar environment when she is most adventurous, Our park, Home, and Chloe's house are a few places she is very familiar with.I think it is important though to continue to expose her to things that make her uncomfortable so she can develop coping mechanisms and strategies, but it is important to reassure her that if it is too much that is ok, she has a safe place with Mommy, and we can leave if she needs to. So far, we have never needed to leave. She is such a happy baby at her core, and just has a few challenges to work through when things get scary or overwhelming, but it is for these reasons that I am so thankful I get to be home with her, and spend so much time with her. i think it helps build her Independence and confidence. She is such a strong girl.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How fun music class looks! Soon Holly will be bringing her guitar to the sing-a-longs! love, Granny