Monday, October 27, 2008

Zoo day

Please be sure to check this out @ Holly Daze or you might miss out on the embedded video's.

Today we had a great fun day. Our morning started off really slow, Joel made me a yummy breakfast, honey maple sausage, tofu bacon, bagels and peach yogurt. We got out of the house at 11:30 which means we didn’t make it to the zoo until noon. We walked down to the children’s area, and the bat room to meet up with Marylee, Mike, Miriam, and Isaac.

We saw River Otters, Tortoises, Bamboos, alligators, Chimpanzees, Macaws, tigers, Lions, giraffes, Sun Bears, Elephants, Flamingos, Snakes, I am sure that I am missing more, but there were a ton of animals. There were several different sizes of turtles, some as big as several hundred pounds, one that I particularly liked though was a littler one, still maybe 10-20 lbs, sleeping in the middle of a river on the back of an alligator, like it was a log.



There was a baby giraffe that was only 4 months old. And there were monkeys swinging high in the trees, one got mad and had a barrel in his play area that he was pounding so everyone knew it was his. The tigers and lions were sleeping in the warm sun, I can’t believe it is almost the end of October and it was over 80 degrees, I thought I would die in the heat, and I got a sunburn.



Little Miss Holly was dressed up in her Halloween costume. The event we were attending was called “Boo at the Zoo” and all kids were encouraged to wear costumes, and got free ride tickets if they did, there was a costume parade earlier in the day face painting, and a scavenger hunt. Holly must have gotten about 20 compliments on her outfit; she was dressed as a furry lion! The sad part though, was that it was so hot, she was getting sweaty and overheated, and could only wear the costume for about 30 minutes.



Miriam was dressed as a fairy and little Isaac was wearing an orange stripped boo shirt. He slept a large part of the day, but when he woke up he was very alert and active, he smiled and watched Holly when Marylee brought him over to play with her. Joel decided to give Holly the Camera to play with while it was in movie mode, and holly made the following movie....



Of her Mouth...

We walked around the zoo for a few hours visiting all of the animals and filling in our scavenger hunt so we could get the goodie bag. Then at the end of the day we decided to take a train ride around the zoo. The zoo is very hilly, and the train goes all around, so there were some really nice views down into the zoo from near the upper edge. here is a video of Holly's crazy mom and the runaway stroller...



After the train ride we decided to head out, Holly was exhausted and fell asleep the second she was strapped into her car seat. We decided to go to the book store after the zoo, and to public market to get some early dinner. I was parched and got a watermelon smoothie. We wanted to pick up the third book in the twilight series, and this book is still only in hard back,, and was 20$ but I really wanted it. There was a special, but 2 get the third one free, so I decided to also get the 4th book in my series, the newest one which has just been out about a month, thus allowing Joel to get a free book.



Holly had admirers at the bookstore that watched her play and told me how cute she was, this was of course after she woke up from her nap. Joel got a cookie and some coffee, and after we found our books, we went to public market to get some take-home food.

It was a really fun day. Holly after being in the car seat or stroller all day had a lot of energy. She wanted to “run around” and she did not sit still. She now lunges from sitting to crawling without hesitation, and once on all fours begins to rock back and forth, she had dropped down to her face and elbows several times and lifted herself up, but the most amazing this she did was this.

Lying on her back, she turned onto her side with her bent elbow tucked up against her, then in a fail swoop she turned onto her stomach, into a crawl stance, in a matter of seconds, she had never turned onto her belly as far as I could remember and I was in shock and amazement by the progress she makes on an hourly bases.

She had some carrots after playing, they were better than the peas, but she still is not excited or helpful when it comes to eating. She was really tired and cranky in the evening, eating two bottles and carrots within an hour, she was super hungry. I am exhausted today also, partly because I was up late last night catching up on reading all of your blogs, and patricianly from the sun, so it may only be 9:00 PM, and I have my book, but alas, I still think I will be going to bed. Goodnight.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

First off...I LOVE turtles!! That is a cool pic. And I totally love Holly's costume. That is adorable.

theotherlion said...

look at that LION! oh my gosh i'm gonna DIE.

ST said...

I love that costume! So cute!

CarolineThomas said...

What a cute costume!!! Such a great outfit I love it.
Is that the Zoo that I missed out on? It looks so good! Loads of animals, way better than our Zoo I think.
I love the videos, especially the runaway mum one, that made me laugh even if Holly was unaware. You let go of the buggy for like a second, so sweet you're so protective.