Sunday, October 12, 2008

Friday

So I have lots of updates, going all the way back to Friday morning. Friday was my last day of work. Joel stayed home with Holly to help prepare for our trip. So I went in and said goodbye to my office for the last time. Then I went to a meeting for the Regional Accrediting Agency for Schools and Colleges, this is a professional organization that I am a member of, and will continue my work with while I am at home with Holly. During the day I had several calls back and forth with Holly’s pediatrician and the various pharmacies. Dr. Hagerman wants her to do a high foliate treatment, up to as much as 7-8 mg, or 1 per Kilo, the pediatrician thinks this is rather high, so wants to start off on a lower dose, regardless, we don’ wan to have to manually crush various tablets daily and put power in her milk, so we are trying to get a liquid. Two of the pharmacies I use do not have it in liquid form, and in fact the only way it comes as a liquid is when it is made for an IV. Since this is categorized as an injectable, the Insurance does not cover it. So we had to make calls back and forth with the insurance company who said to me they would cover an injectable taken orally, but when the pharmacy called to verify they still rejected it saying they needed to talk with the doctor. By this time I was in my meeting and then on my way home to finish packing and head to the airport, so I had to leave it be until next week.

While I was dealing with all of this, daddy was having a fun day at home with Holly. They practiced music in the morning and read a story and then took a nap. Later Katie arrived and wanted to do a mini assessment to prepare for Holly’s 6 month appointment with the regional center on the 20th, which is more annoying drama, because Leela called and told us she could no longer make it on the 20th, and this was after sally had changed an appointment with another child to accommodate that day and time. So I was a bit annoyed that we would have to rearrange everything, and that I would have to try and do that from Virginia with limited internet access.

Anyways, at Katie’s appointment Holly demonstrated a bunch of new skills. Katie asked Joel if Holly plays peek-a-boo, and he said well I think, and proceeded to put the blanket in front of him then lower it and say peek-a-boo, which Holly of course laughed at. Then he put it over her head, pulled it down and said peek-a-boo and she laughed and smiled some more, and then Katie said, well.. I mean does she do it on her own? Well I don’t know he said, and so we gave her the blanket and put it n her head and waited. She then proceeded to pull it down, and laughed and smiled. Then, still holding the blanket, she took it and lifted it back up over her eyes, and then quickly pulled it down again and laughed, so she proceeded to play peek-a-boo with Daddy. So the next thing they looked at were her sitting skills. Joel was telling Katie how Holly would sit, and then reach and go into a crawl, but Holly wasn’t in the mood to do this, so Katie didn’t quite believe him, so then they put holly into a crawl stance and she proceeded to transition back into sitting from a crawl stance, now this had Katie floored, as this is a much more advance skill, and typically babies learn the other way around first. So just to be sure it wasn’t a fluke, they put her back into a crawl stance and three more times she went from crawl to sit. But never while Katie was over would she go from sit to crawl. We decided it’s all about motivation, she likes to sit, so she is very motivated to go into a sit position, she needs a lot of motivation to actually reach for something and almost crawl to get it, it isn’t very often she does it, but she can if she wants to.
Holly had woken up around noon, and was changed and had a bottle by 12:30 when Katie arrived and in a blink of the eye it was already 2:00 and she was still playing.

She slept just before mommy got home around 4:45. I had to go to Alta bates and return the breast pump I had been renting. I got one from craigslist for 50$ and had it at work, now that I am not working, I can use it at home. It is not as powerful as the one I was renting, but it will do, and it will save us the 50$ a month rental fee. I had some last minute packing to do, and was running around as usual until about 7:00 when I was ready to take stuff to the car. Joel lifted the big red suitcase, and said oh my this is too heavy, and I was scared, because I knew they would not take it if it was 70 pounds. So we pulled out the scale and weighted the bag and it was exactly 49.5 pounds. YEAH! So off to the car Joel went loading up all of our stuff.


No comments: