Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Thursday Mom Movie

On the second Thursday of every month there is a free mom and baby movie in San Francisco at the Presido Theatre on Chestnut Street. This month the movie was "The Ugly Truth"Its always a hit or miss if I will actually go, I always hope Holly will be tired and sleep through the movie, but she never does, even though she is tired by the time the movie starts.I head into town early and go to the park before hand in hopes to wear out Holly. We usually hit the Robert Moscone Recreational Center. It is an amazing little park a few blocks from the theatre.Last time we went all Holly wanted to do was sit on the swings. But this last time she was running all over the place. She especially had fun in the sand and playing with the other kids.She even climbed up on the play structure, yes using these precarious set of stairs, nearly gave me a heart attack, but she managed to balance herself on the little boxes.Once she got herself up there it didn't get any easier, as there were all these openings she could jump off of and I was running around in circles keeping her contained, I was happy when she moved on to the next thing.I was surprised to discover how much she liked this little merry go round. She would stand in the center and sign "more" and I would spin her around and around. Then she would come up to the edge and sign "more" and I would spin her some more, she would sit and I would spin. She really enjoyed it.When we were done playing we headed over to the movie theatre and found a seat a few rows back in an aisle that had a platform in front of it. This made it so Holly couldn't fall over, and so that I could put her on it to sit and eat a snack or change her. It was great.The movie was ok, entertaining, not great. For the first half holly was calm, she sat on my lap, drank a bottle relaxed, when she needed to "run around" she played in the aisle with the cup holders and my empty snack container. I kept hoping she would fall asleep, but she didn't. She ate some snacks and that took up some time, then she wanted to walk up and down the steps in the center aisle, so that allowed me to watch a little more of the movie. The premise was about an uptight news producer looking for the perfect guy and a crude low brow talk show host, how gives her advise on how to get the guy. In the end, that guy isn't really the one she wants.Holly got so antsy by the end of the movie that she desperately wanted to walk around ended up in the lobby during the last 5 minutes of the film. I knew how it would end, but didn't actually see it.Then we were off, it was already after 3:00 and Holly hadn't had a nap yet. She was so intrigued by the horse trotting along beside our car as we drove through north beach.But once there wasn't anything too exciting to distract her, she soon fell fast asleep, in fact by the time we hit down town. I was grateful because there was already traffic on the bridge approach.This is one of my favorite streets to drive down int he city, just above North beach and china town, heading towards the Trans America Pyramid, and past the Coppola building.I love living in the bay area. This is an amazing city, with amazing people, and amazing things to see and do. I think Holly is a lucky girl to be growing up here.

1 comment:

CarolineThomas said...

Cute tiny tug, great park pics, those little steps do look scarey, sounds like a lot of running around to keep her safe. What a great design for a roundabout and I'm surprised Holly liked it same as you. Great that you had chance to go to the movies even if you didn't see the end of the film, maybe you could rent it from netflick another time? Love the horse picture in the reflection of the car window, very artsy. I think Holly is the luckiest girl in the world with where and how she is being brought up. It's a great place and you really explore the place well and are a great mum. What an exciting life. I wish I could live over there so much!