Friday, September 25, 2009

Last Day in NY

Saturday night we got back to the Lemonda's and the "parent's" played cards. I was able to put Holly to bed at around 9:00 and I came down and sat at the table and talked with everyone while they played. Since we were little kids, my parents would get together with Elise and Jim to play Spades.The next morning as relaxing. I slept in as did Holly so the "grown-ups" went out to breakfast and we had the house to ourselves. Holly woke up slow, and I had a chance to sit in the air conditioning and pack. Holly played int he room and on the bed, and even in the crib while I went through all of our stuff and packing.There was this train store that my dad had been wanting to go to and it was closed during the supposed business hours, so we left the guy messages and emails, he finally got back to my dad during there breakfast and said he could go by that afternoon. So my mom came home with Waffles for me and my dad and Jim headed to the train store.I was packed by the time they got home and had a nice relaxing quiet morning. Holly was ready to play and get out of the upstairs room by then so the timing was wonderful. My dad gave her a bottle, and then she sat int he high chair playing and looking at books while I ate.Sadly we had to eventually leave for the airport. My mom was frantic, she likes showing up several hours early then I do, and with the worry that I couldn't get a gate pass the last thing I wanted was to have to sit at the airport without Holly's stroller by myself waiting for my plane. Jim was convinced they would never let her back with me.I don;t think he realizes my powers of persuasion, I simply had to talk to three people and fill out two forms, everyone was polite and nice and pointing me towards the person to talk to, and the checkpoints, and perhaps since I knew the term gate pass and they could see the baby and stroller it made it easier, but 15 minutes after we got to the check in area, my bag was dropped off and I had a pass.My bag was 11 pounds over weight so Jim had given me an extra carry on so I wouldn't have to pay any fees, and that helped a lot. I was able to put a lot of extra Holly stuff in it, supplies, books. My mom got several outfits for Holly and a few toys, so it made up the weight difference. After we got through the gate we had a chance to get a Jamba Juice and one last slice of pizza and then made our way to the gate.Other then my mom freaking out that the plane would take off without me while I was int he bathroom, the boarding was uneventful. We had our teary eyed goodbyes and for the first time ever as we walked into the place tunnel Holly waved goodbye to my mom. When we got onto the plane we had an entire row to ourselves, even the row in front and behind us were empty. After a bottle and a little bit of playtime she fell fast asleep, and I was able to lay her down on the empty seats next to me. I even got to watch two whole movies.

3 comments:

joeld42 said...

what a great record of your trip. I feel like I at least got to experience it somewhat even though I couldn't go myself. You take such great pictures.

My favorite part is that each post ends with a picture of an exhausted Holly sleeping soundly.

That first picture of your mom hugging holly is just so adorable, with her arm up and the little smile.. That's so cool that she waved bye at the gate, too.

Anonymous said...

Your return trip sounds like it was the opposite of the trip getting out there. THANK GOD for that! I felt the oma/opa's pain at parting! I know they are looking forward to seeing Holly again in December, like I am!
Thank you for such great detailed and well photographed blogs! Love them!
love, Granny

Jen said...

Sounds like a good time! Glad the trip home went smoothly...sleeping on the plane, so nice.