Thursday, April 30, 2009

A Little of This, A Little of That


Not too much to report on, this has been a bit of a low key week. I think it is because I am still batteling this allergy thing, it acts like a sucky cough and I am congested and can't breath half the time, but it's not Ashma and its not a cold, it is just compacted sinus from the weather changes, so there isn't much I can do. Today my glads were swollen and hurt, I can't sleep because when I lay down I have a coughing fit which wakes Holly and is well pretty uncomfortable, so transitioning from awake to asleep and vice versa is a killer. Whine whine whine.... blah I know....

My little bubble butt has been a pain when it comes too sleeping too. Isn't she cute sticking her bum in the air like that its her favorite way to sleep, well and then some of the time she has her blanket over her head too. She likes to wedge her self into the corner pressing up against the crib. But she has been fighting her naps and not wanting to go to bed, the other day she had a night terror again, this one was really bad. That day she had only taken two thirty minute naps, but I wasn;t expecting it because it was too naps and she just woke up early from them and wasn;t cranky and fell asleep right away, but minutes after we transfered her into the crib she woke screaming.

This one was so bad she threw up several times. I was standing in her room Joel had just handed her to me in hopes that maybe I could sooth her, but her eyes were still closed so I realized it was a night terror and then up came the vomit and all I could think was the excorsit. It was horrifying and I was covered in it. I had to undress both of us all the while she was screaming and then I changed her and cleaned everything up, and I took her into bed and just held her tight. All the while her eyes were still closed and she was still screaming like a banshee. After a few more minutes she would settle whimper and then scream.. this went on for another several minutes, I don't remember if I gave her another bottle at this point, I may have and then she threw up again, this time wasn't very bad, more like a spit up from a cough, but this time it it seemed to wake her up a little bit. So she started to look around. We took her at this point into the living room and put on baby Einstien. She was still crying quiet a bit and it didn't help much but then we went to lay down again and this time she was gulping and whimpering but eventually settled. the whole ordeal was maybe 30-40 minutes, but Joel said it felt like forever. I think the scary part is that she isn't reachable when she is in that state, Joel tries to wake her and engage her and talk to her, I have read that that makes it worse, and you become part of the nightmare, so i like to be in the dark dark and just hold her tight and be there and she eventually calms, but it is incredibly humbling to be so out of control and unable to do anything to help. Its pretty sad that she has been having these night terrors so young, they say they don;t start until closer to two years old, but she has had a hand full now, and I know thats what it is.

Today she refused to go down for her mornign nap until almost 11:40 and luckily Sally her PT was able to come back at 1:45 instead of 12:30 letting her sleep for an extra hour, but then at 5:00 even though she was yawning I tried to put her down for a nap and she refused and got pretty cranky about it, so we got up to play and then Joel tried to put her to bed around 9:00 because she was tired and had been awake for seven hours, but she was having none of it, so I calmed her down and waited and then we tried again at 10:15, we had Karma and Saneesh over and we planned on watching lost, but she refused to let Joel put her down, as soon as I left the room she would scream, I would sing or hum or hold her and she would be calm, then if I tried to leave she would yell, so finally joel told them to leave and that I had to put her to bed. While I was laying down with her she stayed calm, but it took about 30 minutes for her to fall asleep and it was almost 11:00.


Doesn't she look like such a big girl in these pictures, I am remembering back to when I first made these pillows and she used them to pull up on and now she is big enough to sit on them like a chair, it is amazing. Every time we turn around she is taking something off of the table that we didn;t think she could reach so she is getting taller by the minute. She isn't really using her sippy cup well, but she is getting more practice with it daily, we fill it with juice and she likes to shake it and walk around with it she takes a couple of sips here and there, but she isn;t really drinking a lot. But its a start and I am Happy with the progress.

Sally was thrilled with Holly's walking today. She says she is very controlled and she was impressed with her turning and piviting and even her falling is slow and controlled. She is navigating obsticles like pillows or toys on the floor, and taking mini steps up or down over door stops or on and off the carpet. She is even squating down picking up a toy and then walking while holding onto it. She has the skills to stand on her own rather then pull up but hasn't figured that out yet, so it is one of the things we worked on today with Sally. She showed her a few times how to do it. Our session went pretty well.

On Monday we missed our playdate at Chloe's because Holly refused to sleep in the morning, and went down at 2:30, since the playdate starts at 3:00 and she slept till 5:00 we didn't go. I have een pretty busy all week and since falling alseep hasn't been easy I haven't been napping with Holly when she naps, as a result of that I have been pretty tired myself. I guess the apple doesn;t fall far fromt he tree, with a mommy who has sleeping issues, of course she will too. It is sorta scary the things that you see in your kids that simply can't be learned, and present themselves at such a young age.

Yesterday we went to the Eye Doctor, he was wonderful.. he was a pediatric opthamologist and said that holly's eyes were healthy. There were two conditions that are common for kids with Fragile X that dr. hagerman wanted us to check up on, and she was fine, but he said we should come back in a year for another visit, to do a yearly check-up until about 4. At that age, she should be able to do a regular vision test and if her eyes are still healthy then she gets turned over to the pediatrician for checkups during well visits, until she has issues with the vision tests. Which we of course hope won't happen.

We found ourselves rushing out of the house becasue again she went down for her nap late and I wanted to give her every possible moment of sleep before waking her to transfer into the car, and the ride there was about 30 minutes, afterwards she got very cranky and did not want to be in the car seat so we headed over to Sadie Dey's and I let her play for the rest of the afternoon. She didn't go down for another nap till almost 7:00 and slept till 8:00 so of course she was up till midnight that ngiht too... man I should stop whining about sleep issues, can you see this is a theme.. I should call this the gripe and moan post.

I have just had a lot to do, I had a WASC conference call this week, today in fact, which went swimmingly, but I had to rush to review and analyze three reports over the weekend, and I was the lead reader so I was in charge of the call, which was a little stressful of course until the call started. But also I am dealing with an issue related to the title company, apparently someone things there is a judgement against my house from the previous owener that the title insurance didn;t catch, of course this is from 2004 when I bough the house, and the original Judgement was 2000. So it is a pain in my butt that I have to dig out my title insurance for my storage files of 5 years ago, and then find the office and go down there and deal with this, because of bad debt that the previous owner had, I mean why doesn;t the lawyer go chase him down and find him rather then relying on me a responcible person to clean up his mess. Well tomorrow we are having a playdate over here, so I will try and remember to take a bunch of pictures and have a happy post posted soon!

Life is good, I am just in a whiney mood. We are both feeling worn out, but we are hanging in there.


3 comments:

Kristiem10 said...

Yikes! The puke story! Ack.

Sleep issues suck, don't they?

CarolineThomas said...

The sleep thing is a huge issue, I can't imagine. Hard to find anything comforting or helpful to say so I'll just hope for improvement. xx

CarolineThomas said...

Forgot to mention - I LOVE those jammies they rock \m/ \m/