Thursday, April 23, 2009

Developmental Growth Spurt

I think Holly is going through a developmental growth spurt this week, It has been about 2 months since we started with the Folic Acid, so perhaps it has helped some also, it is relaly hard to tell, because she is at the age where she should be doing these things and she has in the past seemed to move forward in spurts.

This week we can totally say we have a walker. That's not to say that she still doesn't crawl, scoot, and cruise. However she has taken several steps across open space and a whole room, walking maybe 10 feet at a time on her own, and she even holds my hand and walks next to me for maybe 20-30 feet. I can;t wait to try and get another video of this for everyone to see.

But the other thing is her babbling. Just Monday we told the Second Speech Therapist that she was still not babbling with mixed sounds then on Tuesday she was talking up a storm. She was mixing her sounds and trying new things and being very verbal and babbling all about, and we even think she may have tried to do two signs, asking for milk.

I have a theory about this too that perhaps this sudden speech improvement is based on the fact that she is beginning to get down walking so all of her energy isn't focused on her gross motor development. But its hard to say if that's really the case or not.

It is amazing to watch her grow and learn and a little sad. Each time I pick her up and cuddle and carry her I am trying to appreciate it, because it is only a matter of weeks before she won;t be my little baby any more, she will be a full blow toddler taking steps literally to becoming my little girl. I am in awe of her, and trying to appreciate each moment of this transition, every wobble and cuddle. I am reminded of how grown up she is when we play with the younger babies, but she has a way to go still, and I see that when we play with older kids, so I will take my time and slow it down as much as I can. As excited as I am for her to do and try new things, I want to appreciate and explore all she is doing in this very moment.

1 comment:

CarolineThomas said...

Aww that is so cute, that happy she is advancing but sad she is growing up feeling all at the same time must be wierd. Hugs xx