Saturday, February 7, 2009

Sleep Eat Swim!


It’s been a rough few days here is Holly Land. I don’t know if she is still sick, going through growing pains, or teething, or simply starting a developmental stage of the “no’s” I am not that concerned yet but she lost 6 ounces this week and won’t eat anything but finger food and Yogurt, and I ran out of Yogurt today. 6 puffs, 4 crackers, and some Yogurt Drops really aren’t that nutritious. I did give her some string cheese today which she liked, and tonight she had some of my rice-a-roni. She got more of it on her face then in her mouth I think but she seemed to enjoy trying. I am wondering if the lack of eating is a bit of a control thing. I will try to put a spoon of food in her mouth and she refuses it but if I hand her a puff she feeds it to herself. I may try to start teaching her to use a spoon, but I don’t really think she (or maybe me) is ready for that yet.

Sleep has been another issue. On Thursday she only took 1 nap waking up from it around 2:00 so I was sure she would fall asleep early. Since the day before it took her 7 hours to fall asleep from her last nap, I thought about 9:00 she would be ready for bed. She started getting sleepy around 6:30 but I didn’t want her to take a nap so late so I kept her up and waited for daddy to get home so he could see her. By 8:00 she was so cranky that I laid down with her and gave her a bottle. She was fast asleep, but alas, she was awake by 9:00 so basically she “shifted” her nap and didn’t go down for the night. This lead me to keeping a very cranky baby entertained until after 1:00 AM.

So on Friday I planned on a new strategy and decided I would wake Holly up early, even if she was only getting 8 hours of sleep and see if that made a difference. We had an extra weekly session with Katie so woke Holly “slowly” just before 9:00. Katie was running late so the session was short but Holly was pretty agreeable. Katie loves the Ball Pit and we played with that for a little while. She was also impressed with how much she had to run around after her, excited to chase her into her bedroom.

Since she woke up so early she took a really long nap in the afternoon, but I decided to let her sleep and get rest since it would be her only nap for the day. She woke up in time for Swim Class and we had a wonderful time. There was a huge group of Mom’s and Babies today and some were part of a Meet-up group I am a new member of so it was fun to meet them and chat. After Swimming Holly was in a good mood and we played.

Tonight she was ready for bed just before 9:00 and this time she actually stayed asleep. Well she woke up 2-3 times before midnight and I had to pick her up and rock her and then once she was settled put her back down, but each time took less than ten minutes. I am not sure why she was so restless, but once she got past 2-3 hours she was sleeping deeply enough to stay resting.

Well that’s about it. I am trying to not stress about the eating thing, I will just see how it goes over the next week.

No comments: