Thursday, August 2, 2012

Dying Easter Eggs

We had so much fun dying Easter Eggs this year.  it was a really cool art project basically and Holly got to help every step of the way.  We had two different kits.  First we boiled all of the eggs, a dozen for each kit.   Then we set up all the dye.  Holly loved dropping in the tablet of dye and pouring the water.  The first kit was a marble one.  So first we did a base coat on the dye by dropping the egg into the bowl/dish.  Then we had a second set of colors that had vinegar mixed in with the water.  Then we add the egg into the second color.  It comes through looking like Marble, the vinegar makes it so it swirls and makes the patterns.  The next kit was tie dye.  With that one we had a little container that the egg goes in.  You wrap it in a piece of cloth first then with a dropper you put the color through little holes in the egg holder.  Some we did on white some we did with a base color.  We got creative too doing half an egg in one color then in another for the base.  Sometimes we used a fresh cloth sometimes we used the used one which transferred old patters lightly and then new ones darker.  It was a lot of fun.  It took about a week to eat all the eggs, but it was so much fun to peel them every day, everything was so pretty.

1 comment:

Granny said...

They are really beautiful! Looks like a lot of fun too!