Monday, October 22, 2012

Newest Sewing Project - Asymetrical Tie-Dye Dress


Maybe this dress needs a belt --So I actually drew the design for this dress ala "Project Runway" style.  I actually sketched it after an episode that inspired me.  Melissa one of my favorite designers and in the final four wore a black dress one day where the skirt on the far side was long and the front was short, in a diagonal asymmetrical line.  Going in the opposite direction it is one sleeved.  I choose a tie dye pattern because I liked the colors and because you see the inside of the fabric of the skirt through the legs because the back is longer and the tie-dye looks really pretty on both sides.  I am not sure yet how to close the dress.  If I sew the sleeve Holly can still technically step into the dress and pull it up over her hips but it is too tight to bring down over her shoulders.  The fabric isn't stretchy at all.  Another tricky thing is that the skirt is fitted past the knee so it is a little tricky for her to walk in it.  I didn't want it to be too short but I didn't want it to restrict her movement either.  If I take it up as the waist to add shape to it, it might be too short.  How fun she added a belt and I think it looked kind of nice so I think I might sew in a permanent one.  I also think maybe in needs the other right sided strap so maybe I will add that in a solid color too.  I'm thinking of maybe just cutting it right down the back and adding buttons or a zipper but that is kind of advanced I'm not sure if I know how to do that.  These pictures aren't the greatest because of the noisy background but let me know what you think.  I have another design in the making coming up soon.

No comments: