Friday, October 9, 2009

Random Kat Stories

So for some of you it may have seemed like ages waiting for these next new posts. My sister and I reunited on the 7th of September and here it is over a month later before I have had a chance to get to the posts that include her. I think Holly and I must be just too busy that even though I post every single day, real life is about a month ahead of this blog. You may even have noticed I have been doubling up the last few days to try and get ahead. So these are some random stories about the first week of Kat's return. Amazingly Holly took to her really fast, they bonded right away. I think it may have had something to do with the fact that the previous 5 days she was being bombarded with new people in a new environment. She was so happy to be home and back in her own space that she was more then happy to get to know this new person who was following her around on the floor, playing with her and at her Mommy's side all the time.When we got home we had a package waiting for us. It was a new Tea Set and a Package of Donuts from Oma and Opa. See Stephanie our Speech Therapist wanted Holly to have a Tea Set for to use for imaginative play with her dolls helping to feed them and give them drinks. Well since she was getting tea, Daddy wanted her to have a snack to enjoy with the tea. Yummy Yummy Donuts. They are the mix and match kind, they come with sprinkles and other toppings that you can take on and off.Well Holly loved playing with the donuts and would pretend to eat them. She made up this game where she would eat them and then they would "Disappear" down her shirt. At first we didn't realize what she was doing, but then after a few times we realized that the donuts had to go somewhere after they were eaten. Next thing you know, she was giving a donut to Kat and then putting it down her shirt after she took a "bite" this was there new game. All week, every time she saw the donuts she would take a "bite and down Kat's shirt they would go "Disappearing" as if they were eaten. I suppose in some weird way she is learning a simple digestive system lesson.... But it was so cool to see her making up a game, and what came next was even better. We later got her some other play food and she extrapolated. One day out of the blue she took a few bites of her play cheese and down Kat's shirt it went. She was able to apply the game from the donuts to another type of play food. She has not done this with any items except play food which I think is pretty amazing.We had several outings the first week which you will be reading all about soon, but we took it slow too. It has been a big adjustment for Kat to be back. Holly and I exhausted her, all the outings and the playing and the chasing her around the playground and pushing on the swing and making sure she knows where the edge's are. I have to admit Holly hasn't been down stairs to meet Kat's cat yet, but she loves her Tanta Kat. She knows her, recognizes her picture in her "Holly Book" now, and she smiles when she comes into the room. A few times she has went looking around the house for her when she has went downstairs to get something, and several mornings Joel handed Holly off to Kat when he left for work and let Mommy sleep in. She has been coming to play dates and meeting all of Holly's friends and attending therapy, and working on the things holly needs to work on, steps, jumping, language. She even babysat for about an hour when I had to leave for a Mom's night out at 6:00 and Joel couldn't get home till after 7:00. This week Joel and I are going to try and go to a movie and in two weeks we have tickets to a play. Sadly, Kat only has about three weeks left before she heads back to Florida, I think she will be terribly missed, I'm not even sure how she will respond.Well there are many more stories to tell and you will see them here in the weeks to come. It has been wonderful here with Kat's help, easier to run errands, someone to help straiten up the house, keep me company, get the diaper bag for me when I am trying to balance it and Holly, someone to help when I am exhausted and need a nap, or to help Joel when I am at a Mom's night out. We have been having so much fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's really true that it "takes a village to raise a child". How great that Kat is there to be part of your village for a little while. And of course Holly would love her! What's not to love about Tanta Kat!
Love, Granny
PS I may have to go out and get some doughnuts...but I'm not going to stick them in my shirt!

Anonymous said...

PPS I get it that you can barely keep up with the blogs! I can barely keep up with the comments! :-)
But it is SO great that you are doing this! I hope you are saving all. I think you need a special external hard drive just for "HollyDaze"
Love, Granny