Thursday, January 12, 2012

Sid the Science Kid

So a few months back we took Holly to the California Academy of Sciences to see Sid the Science Kid. He is a character from a TV Show she loves. She was so excited to go and see him. We invited Lucian to join us and we were looking forward to a wonderful play date. This was post Disney and she had met lots of character's while there so I wasn't even really worried about it, but boy was that a mistake.

As soon as we arrived and she could see him inside the Lobby from the stairs she started to cry No No and hide behind me and ask to go home. I knew she would have fun at the Science Center if I could get her inside, and perhaps later she would warm up to Sid. We got inside and headed right down to the fishy room and to wait for Lucian but we never made it back to see Sid. Every time I mentioned it she got upset. Still to this day if I tell her we are going to a Science Center (Lawrence hall of Science, Chabot, or Academy of Sciences) she cries, no Sid. and I have to convince her he won;t be there before she will agree to go. She gets super anxious about it. She is better now, I am able to coax her and she believes me that he won't be there but she always has to ask.

Weeks after this event after several times of asking her about it she finally told me that Sid is small like her and not big. So it seems she was scared because the life Size Sid was taller then Daddy instead of a small kid like her. I am finding that a lot of her anxiety has to do with expectations and I am learning slowly how to properly set her expectations so that she can enjoy events that might be a little scary to her but when there are no surprises and she knows what to expect she is able to be brave.

Even though we didn't meet Sid we had a great time. We looked at the Fish, enjoyed a Yummy lunch with our friends and the kids played in the Discovery room. We had finally remembered to bring Lucian his birthday gift, Months late (His Birthday is in June) Holly had fun giving it to him since she remembered making the wrapping paper months earlier.

We have been back since and she always has a great time, but now I know that not all Character's are created equal and though she loves the show, sometimes Sid the Kid, just needs to be Kid Sized.


































No comments: