Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I'm a Big Girl Now


I'm a Big Girl Now
Originally uploaded by
vczdavis
Day 6 Wednesday 7/23

This morning Joel had to leave early, and holly went down for her nap at 9:20, she slept till about 11:00, Mommy was still tired, and so she gave Holly some toys, and she amazingly played quietly all on her own for almost a 1/2 hour. Holly does not usually do this. At that point she had to be changed, Poopie Diaper (she did not have one yesterday) and then we played some more, this time with Ocean Time. She was very intense and let mommy nap some more while playing with her octopus Friend. When mommy left the room the answer the phone she got upset, but as long as I was there, even if I was napping she was happy.

I fed her and tried to get her to take a short nap before her PT appointment, but she did not want to sleep, she had some more active quiet time, she laid on her tummy, but still would not push herself over. At 1:00 she met with Sally her PT and was very cheerful, but only for about 30 minutes at which time she got tired, since she had been up almost 3 hours at this point. She did a lot of stretches, held her full weight on her legs and her legs were not stiff, noticed and played with her feet and grasped and held a pretty heavy toy. I mentioned that her OT thinks her left side is tighter, and she was actually crossing mid line on Monday to reach with her right hand for a toy on her left side, so the PT put a toy on her left and then covered her right field of vision. She would reach with her right hand out, but couldn't see where to reach and this made her very frustrated, she tried to turn her head to look with the right and reach with the right to get the toy, and would not reach with the left. We plan to keep an eye on this, and try and get her to reach more with her left side.

In the late afternoon she was definitely teething again and was very chompy, today she was eating her terry cloth blanket with my finger inside, I would move my finger all around her moth and she would bit it in front, and on the sides, and she had a lot of oral motor stimulation. She also played with and chewed on her star, and I had not seen her chew it so actively before, she actually seemed to turn it from one corner to another to get a different texture, one is like a satin, and another is very rubbery, she seemed to like both.

Holly finally napped, and in the afternoon had more tummy time, and read two stories. She had a short massage, on her chest and arms mostly. We also played the upside down baby game which she loved and made her laugh. i would sit her on my chest facing me, and then let her fall all the way back so her head was down between my legs, then i would say upside down baby, I would then pull her up and say right side up baby, when i said this and she saw me and was upright she would smile and laugh and then push back to do it again. We did this maybe 15-20 times, she thought it was a very fun game.

We played with the baby in the mirror and practiced our ABC sounds and played with her feet some more. In the late afternoon she was pretty fussy, and was not taking as many naps and not for as long as usual, so I think she was tired. We fed her at 8:15 and went out to eat, she almost fell asleep in the car, but not quite, and was awake and alert and watchful at the restaurant. On the way home around 10:00 she fell asleep in the car. I gave her 25 of the Minocycline about 10:15 in 2ml of water, she took almost the entire thing, over 15 minutes but right at the end woke up and did not like the taste, I thinks he was startled that she was drinking something and she started to cough, and spit up most of it, mixed with her last meal. We debated on whether or not to give her another dose, Joel felt like she must have gotten some, and some was absorbed and mixed in her stomach and suggested maybe giving her only 1/2 dose, but i didn't want to risk another 15 minutes of sipping yucky tasting water, when she was already very upset and crying, so decided not to give her more. So I am unsure how much she got.

I still haven't heard from Dr. Jones with tips on giving her, her meds, but administration of the medication is very stressful and frustrating, because she can't take it with milk which is the only think she eats or drinks, and it tastes nasty. Tonight I forgot to add some sugar, which is likely when she spit it up once she woke up and tasted it. I will not forget tomorrow.

I totally forgot, speaking of Holly entertaining herself, this afternoon I put her in the bouncer, and put some books under it, as she doesn't reach the floor yet, and made myself some lunch, she sat there content for perhaps close to 30 minutes. I heard her reach and spin one of the toys, and she was facing the hall when I put her in and turned about 180 degrees and was facing the AC when I checked on her later. She was pretty shy at first and didn't really jump and bounce a lot, but I think if I keep putting her into it, she will play some more, she certainly looked around a lot and was curious about this new place to play. Also earlier this week I put her in her red seat to play, but she did not like it for long, she did grasp the toy on both sides at once and try to bring it to her mouth, since its attached and doesn't do that, I think she got frustrated, so next time, I will put the plain try and a different toy sitting on it, that she can pick up and put down.

No comments: