Monday, November 1, 2010

A Month in the Life - 1

It was a dark and scary night, the stars were twinkling in the sky but I could not see the moon anywhere, it was hiding behind the hills, or perhaps behind a cloud. It was a night my mommy told me was called Halloween. I was dressed in a long blue dress, It was pretty I was a princess, but I kept stepping on my skirt which pulled the dress and made it very hard to walk and play, but especially hard to walk down the stairs as we left my friends house. We were on our way to go Trick or treating. The house next door had so many weird noises and there was thin smoke in the air, just then a monster popped out and cackled in my direction, that was it. I ran to my Mommy in tears and demanded she pick me up. My best friend was also very scared and she told her daddy to take her to the car! That was a good idea, in hind sight I perhaps should have asked to do the same thing, but instead I just said, “Bye Bye, Scary House” and my mommy took me to the next one.

This one was not nearly as scary though, but I was still pretty upset. I already had a really long evening; you see I never wanted to put this blue dress on in the first place. I kept telling Mommy no, and I showed her the green Kai-Lan dress I wanted to wear instead. I know she understood me, I mean how much clearer can you get then jumping up and down while pointing at the dress and shaking your head no at the one she was holding. But she did not listen, and before I knew it I had one arm in and then a second and I was wearing the dress. It actually was not as bad as I expected it to be, but by the time I was dressed I was just plain mad that Mommy didn’t listen to me so even though I didn’t mind the dress like I thought I would, I was not going to let her off easily. So I waited until she got me a yogurt juice and put on the Trick or Treating Kai-lan episode on the TV. Then I cheered right up! I liked the dress after all and was only afraid it would be scratching like the one she tried to put me in on the night before.

So here we are, on a dark warm night with four of my friends, in a blue princess dress holding onto a blue Pumpkin and bawling my eyes out. This time I did not want to be upset any more, but it was just so hard to calm myself down. I tried really hard. One time I was so excited that all my friends were going to get to knock on the door of the next house without me that I said Mommy Down and we were walking to the house so I could get some candy too, but I tripped on the edge of the driveway and lawn. It was not a bad trip, I did not really hurt myself, but it completely surprised me and that was it. I was all upset over again. This time it was worse, it’s like the three strikes rule. My body just remembered all the things that upset me throughout the evening and I lost it. It is a lot of work to keep it together when there is so much going on around me that I have to pay attention too. So I just held on super tight and Mommy gave me the biggest hug ever. After that I did NOT want her to put me down at all. She sent Daddy away, which I didn’t like either, and we kept on walking to the next house. What was she thinking, did she not hear me crying in her ear. I didn’t want to go, she asked me if I wanted to go home, and I didn’t want that either. It is so tough to be me. I was not sure at this point what I wanted; I simply lost control of myself.

We kept walking and Mommy pointed to each house and pointed to my friends and I watched as they each knocked on the doors and got candy. I think that upset me even more, I wanted to go with them and do it too, but I was too upset so I was trapped between my emotions and my desires. At this point Daddy finally came back and Mommy handed me over to him. I didn’t want her to let go, but I think I was getting heavy for her. Daddy had another yogurt juice, which at the time was comforting, but I only drank a few sips because what I really wanted was Mommy and my pacifier and at the moment I had neither. So I just yelled Mommy, Mommy, Mommy until she took me again and I could hold her tight and I was finally able to calm down a little bit.

By this time my friends were far ahead and we had to skip several houses to catch up, but this gave me a chance to catch my breath and then we got to the next house. I said, “Knock Knock” and Mommy asked if I wanted to go down and got and get some treats, but I told her “No, Mommy up!” she listened! And she carried me over to my friends and I reached out and took a big piece of chocolate from the nice lady at the door. Mommy reminded me to thank her and Say Bye Bye, and I did. But it was so much work to go up to the house, and all I could think of was the scary house from earlier, I was afraid there might be a monster lurking around every corner that by the time I got my candy bar I lost it again. This time though it was much easier to recover and I was able to calm dawn as we walked to the next house. Daddy kept telling me to look at the stars and I would look at them and point and then search for the moon, which was what I really wanted to see. I would say “Stars” so he knew I saw them, but the moon was still nowhere to be found. He also kept asking me if I wanted to finish my yogurt juice which after a few times was irritating me. I had already said no several times and I felt like he was just not listening. I know that’s not the case he just did not want me to forget that he was still holding it and that I could have more if I wanted but I didn’t forget and did not need the reminder.

At this point I could tell mommy was getting tired of holding me, I guess I am not a little baby any more, at least I am not small and tiny like a little baby, but I am not that grown up either. I suppose Mommy could tell I was feeling a little better so she lifted me up higher onto just one shoulder. I liked this because I could still hold onto her face and hair and neck and still give her kisses, but it seemed to be easier for her to carry me like this. By this time my Blue Pumpkin was really starting to fill up and I did not want to hold it anymore so I made Daddy carry it for me. Mommy and I would go up to each house, I would reach out and take a piece of Candy and then we would go back to Daddy and I would put it into the blue pumpkin.

Now my friends were crossing the street going to the next house and this one had lots of stairs, now normally I am a huge fan of the stairs, but just the thought of walking up all of them in the big fluffy princess dress was too much. Luckily I don’t think Mommy wanted to walk up 4 flights of stairs holding me either, so we jumped ahead to the next house. Finally I was the first in line that meant I could actually knock on the door and so I made the leap and said, “Mommy Down” she was so excited and she put me down and held my hand and together we walked over to the door. There was a little porch and four steps to walk up. Mommy pulled my skirt up for me and held it in one hand while also holding my hand tight and I went right up to the door and knocked on it. It opened and a nice old lady came out and told me what a pretty princess I was and she had a big bowl of candy and she let me reach in and pick one. I got a lollipop and then she told me I could have one more if I wanted so I took a chocolate bar. Then I ran over to mommy and hugged her leg and said “up!” and we walked back over to Daddy. And then I put the two pieces of Candy into the bucket.

Just then the rest of my friends came over and it was their turn. Mommy put me all the way up onto her shoulders this time and then we went to a few more houses. But that’s when I saw my friend’s house and realized that we were back and trick or treating was over. I was really excited to go back inside and play some more. Trick or treating was ok. I was happy to get so many treats, but it took a lot out of me. When we went inside Mommy let me take off my dress and put on a tank top because we were both so hot from the walking around, and then I was really happy. She let me eat chocolate too. It was a fun night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a night! You all deserve prizes! Mary Nanna

Anonymous said...

Oh my! I feel the same way about running and playing in a long dress...not fun!
Sounds like you persevered, and that's a good thing, and all was good in the end.
Love, Granny