Sunday, November 14, 2010

Small Voices

I am not sure what recent updates I have posted about Holly's pre-pre school program, but it is going great. I have been leaving her now either right at drop off, or right at the end of open play before Circle starts. Her teacher's report she is doing wonderfully. She is talking more then ever, she has to in order to ask for help, or for the things she wants from others. It is hard to imagine, as I am always with her otherwise, so I wonder how she acts and what she does when I am not around. I wish I could have a video camera and record the day just to check it out. She loves it, but she also misses me very much and is super clingy when I pick her up at the end of the class, lots and lots of hugs and super kisses wait for Mommy. Even though it is so good for her, her confidence, development, and Independence I miss her and I think the transition may be harder on me then her. I am feeling disconnected to the class, her work and progress, her teacher's and the other kids and families.

On that note we decided that I would visit class every other Wednesday. This would give me a chance to check in with everyone, and hang out with Holly and observe how things have changed. We have not actually instituted this schedule yet, as I have only just started leaving her a few weeks ago and then these past two weeks we were sick and missed three days of school. However, in Theory I think it will work well. I also think that it is good practice for me as in this environment I have the flexibility to come and visit, so it will help me learn good transition habits, like updates to and from the teachers at drop off and pick up time, so that once Holly starts regular school we can have a system in place.

I talked to another family who has there child in a similar program in Oakland, it is for 2.5 hours 2X a week. But they have a one hour parent support meeting every class session, so twice a week. They spend the first part with the kids and then leave the last hour. I was so jealous. In our program we only have a parent meeting one time a month, and in October we didn't have one at all. And in September I missed it, but it was a special speaker for Dads. I have asked the facilitator to schedule the meetings in advance so we are sure to all make it, and requested that we do it twice a month, but she said they didn't have the resources. I think I will bring it up again at the next meeting, this week, perhaps she can talk to the other Oakland program and find out how they do it. I was told by the other parent that there are about twelve kids in there program, and they only have two teacher's and one volunteer, we only have ten kids, and we have 2 teachers, a staff person and then at least one volunteer, so I feel like we could swing it, even ones a week, like every Wednesday would be great.

I guess we will see. We were sad to be sick this week because two of our friends graduated and we did not get to say god bye to them, though we saw them both over the weekend at one of there Birthday parties. It is hard to believe that in less then 4 months that will be us. It doesn't seem like that far away, especially when this picture was taken almost that long ago.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe if they feel they don't have resources for mom's support group meeting more often, you could do it informally, like invite the mom's over for lunch or something?
I'm glad to hear Holly likes school and does so well!
Love, Granny