Saturday, February 25, 2012

Filling Our Days at Home (Fun Sensory Activities Below)

These are some really fun pictures to show everyone what a creative Mommy I can be
So... One of Holly's favorite movies in Alien's Vs. Monster's in particular because Susan gets married, then turns green and becomes the 50 foot lady.
Holly decided she too wanted a wedding dress, and although we have a black and white dress up dress i sometimes use on this day it had to be all white and Mommy had to make it RIGHT NOW.
So I took a lacy table cloth and toga fashion I wrapped her up in it and tied it on her shoulder and she had a long white wedding gown. Of course she then wanted one for her Tinkerbell Doll, RIGHT NOW... So I used Washcloths. She has been playing wedding dress with this table cloth for weeks now, for a while it was every day and all evening she would wear it, though lately it has been hung up and she is into other dresses again.
So on another day, when it was raining a few weeks back I decided we should have a sensory play day.
Luckily I had everything I needed in the house already and truth be told I was actually inspired by the Halloween Episode of Sid the Science Kid, that is where I got the recipe anyway.
What we are making is eeewy gooey green slime! Ooooh boy :-)
First we poor a cup of Corn Starch (Which I will add took me twenty minutes to find but Boy was I excited when I found it.) And then a cup of water.
The fun of course for Holly is the green paint, but I wanted to drag this activity out for as long as possible, so we added smaller then 1 cup amounts of each slowly and she began to mix.
She was really enjoying herself, she made little rives through the corn starch to help the water mix in.
Eventually I let her squeeze green finger paint into the mixture. Sometimes she got a little over whelmed and wanted to mix it with the knife.
Here is is still a little watery, but the neat thing is, our hands actually soak up some of the moisture so the more she played with it the more structure took place and soon it was a neat slime that you could roll into a ball but then would completely melt into gooeyness.
So on another rainy day we were playing and Holly has all of these tiney tiney bubble things with characters inside, I so forget the name of them now... Arg. But she has all these princess ones, Ariel and Cinderella. They attach to a bracelet and there have despencer toys, but we don't have those. But reguardless, I wanted to come up with a fun activity to do with them that was sensory based.
I had also recently went to Costco and purchased a lot of Pasta, so I had an excess of that and I poured it into a large bowl.
We played with this for about 45 minutes. The first time I had the characters int here bubbles and pushed them all in and hid them and she found them. Then she opened them which is another excellent OT activity as it takes some precision pinching to open the bubbles. The next time after we had opened them all I hid the characters themselves which was in fact much harder to find. She would stick her hands into the pasta and run her fingers through and look for them, it was a lot of fun. We tried several variations, later she wanted to hind them, and then later still she wanted to put pasta into the bubbles ect. It was a great time. when I was done I stuck the dried pasta in a Gallon Freezer Zip Lock bag and its in her toy closet for play another day.
So on yet another day Holly decided that she wanted to play with ice. We had been talking about melting Ice and I think this was another Sid the Science Kid inspired activity.
We did this several times. The first time I simply had some ice that I put in a large bowl for her to play with. I had some time in the past purchased these condiment containers for art supplies and I put hot water in Red and Cold in Yellow. We then squeezed out the water to see how we could get the ice to melt. Holly is obsessed with water and likes it freezing so of course she started with the Yellow. She observed that it didn't do much but make a fun pool for the ice to float in for her to slosh around. SO eventually I convinced her to try the red bottle and she discovered that the ice would in fact melt with the hot water.
At this point I decided to only use warm water but I added food coloring to the water. So she was able to melt the ice with colored water in a small bowl
But what we observed was that if you used different colors they would mix and make new colors, so Red and yellow made orange, Blue and Yellow Made green. We would pour one bowl into the larger mixing bowl then melt some new ice with a new color and then we would add it to the bigger bowl and see how it all changed, Blue and Red made purple.
So then things got complicated. I made new ice with her "Squeeky Squeeky's" I think that's what those little bubble characters are and they were frozen inside the ice cubes so she had to focus and point her water spray to actually melt the ice around the Character to help them escape the ice.
After that I made it even more complicated and created different color ice cubes. Then we would put them in a bowl and she would see that when in ice form the colors did not mix. But if she added a color water the ice would be one color the added water in her bottle a second and the final melted color a third because they mixed together. Finally we took two colors of ice with clear water and showed how as they melted they mixed together. She learned all the basic color mixing theory, at least those with Red, Green, and Blue.

No comments: