Friday, May 28, 2010

Messy Art Day

Wow - So it has been a while since I have had time to write a proper blog post. I have been crazy busy, Though I did squeeze in a little time to enjoy my birthday. I have been trying to keep up with updates thoughSending over some one off pictures, but boy I am feeling bad as I am about 3 months behind on posting pictures.So now I am jumping around and trying to find either the most interesting events, or the easiest ones for me to do and make wordless1These amazing pictures are from Messy Art Day. it was an Open House event held at a co-op preschool in El Cerrito.My Massage therapist is also a nanny and the kid she looks after goes here, she recommended it to me and I passed it along to some other friends who now attend and love it.This was a stretch day for Holly there was so much going on she was so over whelmed and we were so proud of her.There were a ton of people and activity, so that alone was overwhelming even to Joel, but then there was a plethora of sensory activities to try.In General Holly does not like to be messy and I learned on this day she gets in not only from her sensory Fragile X issues, but from Mommy.Or Maybe Mommy has the same issues in a milder form because she is a carrier. But we persevered and tried all kinds of neat things.Shaving Cream, Corn Starch, Soapy Bubbles, finger paints. She veered a way from a lot of these but was interested.This was a musical room all full of items to clang on, and she loves this, it is interesting she doesn't have any auditory aversion,But she does have the tactile aversions. These were super sized donuts that the kids decorated with powder and "frosting"This room was one Holly actually enjoyed and we spent quite a bit of time in here.Though she did not want to wear the goggles, and this photo was snapped in the three seconds I was able to keep them on her before a meltdown would threaten.The room was confetti and she didn't really need the glasses, they were just worried about sand or dirt in the eyes if it was mixed in with the confetti.It was home made (or school made) machines and the kids would all sweep and scoop up the confetti and then drop it back in to watch it blow all around.Holly watched the older kids for a few minutes but quickly caught on to what they were doing and before I knew it she wanted to do it herself.That kid to the left with a mohawk, he did that all on his own with shaving cream. it was awesome all the messy and filthy kids having the time of there lives.Holly did want to try her hand out with the donuts, the powder seemed innocuous enough and she liked to play with the kitchen utensils.But when she got her hand in the "muddy" chocolate frosting, she was done with the activity and needed mommy to clean her up.She loved playing with the water of course, and even though she didn't like the bubbles, she was motivated and dealt with them.Another thing she really liked was the colored ice, she liked the spray bottles used to melt the ice and the colored water melting.She took a break to color, I think the least messy activity of the day. She liked watching what everyone was doing, even if she didn't participate in a lot of it.This is the Clean Mud, I love how the kids just climbed in cloths off and having a blast. It looked like so much fun.So much so in fact that Holly insisted that she wanted to give it a try and get inside, although we knew she would not be a fan.So I took off her shoes and her pants and stuck her inside, just really her feet, boy the face she made, i wish we were coordinated enough to balance everything plus take a picture.We quickly pulled her out and rinsed off her feet, though then the water was really cold and that made her really mad too, so she was a bit upset.This is a picture just before putting her into the clean mud, I thought it was cool, it did feel gooey, but was really neat.I really wished Holly would have done this, rolling the paint ball down the slide. At the time when we took her, she didn't have an easel yet and had never painted, so I think she just didn't get it in a way.I also wished she was older and bigger so she could have tried this, I feel like she may have loved it, riding on a swing squirting paint, what's not to love.Its like a human Spirograph and the slide thing was really neat, it made such cool designs as the paint rolled down.On the way out we checked out these school made water sprayers, I think it was like a catapult for water too.All in all we had a wonderful time, and we can't wait until next year when Holly will be older and hopefully less sensory affected, I think we will have even more fun then!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG what a fun place! Can I go???? Holly is consistent, her favorite activity is WATER! I laughed at the first picture, pointing the water mister at herself!
Love, Granny