Thursday, August 21, 2008

Owwie - blood tests hurt - but I'm a brave girl!

Thursday, 8/21

So it has been a few days since I have kept up on the Journal, since we stopped the Minocycline treatment. It has actually been a bit of a rough few days, as I am trying to get a head start on transitioning Holly into Daycare. Tuesday we went to Davis, and Holly saw Dr. Hagerman first off, I think this made her a little tired, so by the time she got to the last eye tracking video she was rather fussy, and over tired and needed a nap, so I don;t think she did as well on that one. Next time we visit, I will ask that she does the assessment stuff first. She ended up napping while we answered the vineland questionnaire, then we drove to a different lab to finish off the Mullins Assessment.

On the way home I was able to talk Joel into going and seeing the Mummy 3 movie at the baby brigade, and Holly was such a good girl. This cheered me up. Right before leaving Davis, we did a blood draw. She was only able to give 2 vials of blood, so she will need to do another on the next visit. She cried when the needle went in, and cried because she was restrained, and she cried when the needle was moved around to get the blood to flow, but in general, it was not as bad as the screen with the earrings, and other then having to hold her down for about 3 minutes she didn't get too frantic and when it was done she was happy and playful again, and it was much better then vaccinations, which the misery lasts for days after.

On Wednesday we saw Sally, and holly is gaining some new skills, she is holding up her trunk, when Sally holds her waist and puts light pressure on her front legs, she is in a complete and steady sitting position, and this she reports is great, and should be practiced so she can learn to balance, also when she is on her tummy if Sally shifts her weight, she extends one side, and crunches the other bringing her leg up, which is the precursor movements to crawling. Sally was very excited about this progress. We played on a cute Bouncy horse, and the ball, and did some other stretches. Afterwards she was to daycare, for 2.5 hours. She would not let any of the other teachers hold her, they tried and after a moment she would see me and cry, one tried for several minutes walking with her and trying to sooth her but to no avail. So I stayed and played, and she at least got to see the room, see the teacher and get exposed, so it won;t be a completely new place.

On Thursday they gave me a call and said that one of the children in another room was exposed to viral meningitis, and they were required to report this to me. I was stopping by the pediatricians office to get paperwork anyways, and they didn't seem to worried although I was, and said that I should keep an eye out for fever and rash. We went to the mommy's group this morning, and met Kyle and another little Indian girl with a very unique name that I can't remember whom was adopted. We were practicing Holly's sitting, and she was reaching far out in front of her to get a toy and she made a face plant into the floor. There was a loud bump and she immediately screamed. There was a little bump on her head above her eye, but it wasn't bulged out, it was just a red mark. She calmed down within a few minutes but fell asleep. I was of course worried about concussion, but everyone told me it was not that bad, and not to worry. Since she was 90 minutes overdue for her nap, I let her sleep. I asked the on call nurse about this also, and she said to watch for vomiting, but she looked fine. She woke up about 30 minutes later as if nothing had happened.

I then took her back to daycare, I handed her to miss Mary with her lutchka, loopy toy, and blanket and she didn't cry when I was setting up her diapers and bottles so I left without even saying goodbye, I didn't want to give her a reason to get upset. I went to a movie, Sisterhood of the traveling pants. I checked my cell phone every 5 minutes for the first hour, then every 10-15 for the last hour, making sure they didn't call me and watching the clock. I did enjoy the movie, but was worried about her. When I returned, at first she cried a tiny bit, but then I went around to the other side of her crib and she reached for me to pick her up. I did so, and she put her hands on my cheeks and tried to eat/kiss my noise, then smiled and laughed at me. I asked how she was, and her blanket was soaked, they said she had a rough time, and she spit up all her food. I am assuming this meant she had a fit, they were not overly communicative.

Her g-diaper was on backwards and very sloppy, and they said she had eaten, but her bottle was only short 50 cc's We staid and played another 45 minutes, I met several of the other parents, as there was a returning parent's orientation and they were showing up early and hanging out with us. Sasha and Chloe as 6 & 7 months, so just a bit older then her, and Naomi is 9 months. They all seemed happy and well cared for, but they don;t seem to have bonded with Holly yet, she was down in the crib, not being held, though not crying when i showed up. I don;t know who her teachers will be, what the routine is, ect. and they didn't write stuff down, so I am very super apprehensive about all this. New parent orientation is supposed to be next week Thursday at 4:00. The time and date has changed 4 times, so it all seems very disorganized and unreliable. I can't wait until she starts at aquatic park, this is going to be a nightmare.

We were so hot when we got home we put on the AC, took off our cloths, and ended up napping. Then we played till Daddy got home and Holly had a fun bath and massage. We played in the bath some with her rubber ducky. The water is not so deep, and i think I am going to talk Joel into giving her bathtub baths soon, so she can have deeper water to play in. We washed her hair and neck good, which was starting to get very sweaty, even though I have been cleaning it off every day. I sang her to sleep after reading her a story. Not before Daddy riled her up with his gwaaa ing, and making her crack up laughing.

Tomorrow I see Isenberg, get my return to work paperwork done, and go swimming. I am looking forward to the pool, it is SOOO hot. Next week Emeryville is closed for training, so I won't get to take Holly back until the 2nd. I am going to try to officially return to work early, so i can catch up from home on the last 6 months of email, and so i can spend some time with her on Tuesday the 2nd before I head in and so I can pick her up early.

I ordered her picture flashcards, which I am excited about. They will be arriving tomorrow. I also want to go back to Ikea and get her another fishy toy to take to daycare, and another loopy toy from Target, and maybe some toys to hang from her crib there.

No comments: